For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
– 2 Timothy 1:7
Fear Factor was a T.V. show that aired on NBC from 2001 to 2006 that pitted contestants against each other in a
variety of stunts (usually 3) to win a prize of $50,000. The show was divided into three segments or Stunts:
- First segment was usually a physical challenge, such as testing the contestants fear of heights by suspending them from a helicopter while collecting flags or something of that sort.
- The Second segment would be a Mental challenge, which could be either:
- an eating challenge, where the contestant would be required to eat something that would generally be considered as gross or disgusting. Live bugs were often used in this segment.
- or an Animal challenge, where the contestant would be either partially or completely covered by an animal, such as, snakes, ants, spiders, rats or something similar.
- The Third segment would usually be an extreme stunt, such as strapping into a car and jumping a ramp or something like that.
The episode would end with a winner and the statement “Evidently, Fear is not a factor for you”.
My hope is that at the conclusion of this Podcast, that you can say that Fear is not a factor for you.
If you allow it too, Fear will control you; The use of fear as a control technique has proven to be very successful. People will stand in line volunteering to give up any and all of their rights if fear is successfully employed.
If you are living in the Spirit of Fear, you are not exercising the Spirit of God in your life. 2 Timothy 1:7 tells us that God didn’t give us the Spirit of Fear:
- Isaiah 43:1
- John 14:27
- John 16:33
So who does?
Our adversary the devil (1 Peter 5:8-11). The devil wants to completely drown out your testimony by occupying your mind with fear. The what if’s in life: The Dread of future events that may or may not materialize, or the fear of what if someone learns of your past etc. can absolutely paralyze you and keep you from doing anything productive for the Lord. The Apostle Paul teaches us that we need to forget what is behind us and press forward (Philippians 3:13-14). Paul knew a little bit about having a bad past, He admitted in Galatians 1:13 ” For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews’ religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:” see also Acts 22:4 and Acts 26:11. Paul didn’t run from his past, but he also didn’t allow the fear of it to control him.
God did not give us the Spirit of Fear, but he did give us three things to combat this Spirit of Fear.
First, he gave us the Spirit of Power (2 Timothy 1:7). This power will enable us to serve him; Ezekiel 36:26-27 says ” A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
27, And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.” We are also told three more things about this power:
- Beheld through or witnessing and preaching as seen in 1 Corinthians 2:4-5 and 1 Thessalonians 1:5.
- Brings us strength as seen in Ephesians 3:16-19.
- Builds character as seen in Romans 12:12 and Romans 15:13.
Next, he gives us the Spirit of Love (2 Timothy 1:7).
- Love is a fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22) and is what enables us to strive together with other believers without giving up and throwing in the towel (Romans 15:30-33).
- Love is characterized:
- as something that is real (Romans 12:9-10)
- it never fails (1 Corinthians 13:4-8)
- it is sacrificial (Ephesians 5:1-2)
- it is actionable (1 John 3:16-18)
- Love conquers fear as seen in 1 John 4:18.
Finally, we see that God gives us the Spirit of a Sound Mind. He had to give us a sound mind which is why we see in Romans 12:2, Ephesians 4:23 and Colossians 1:21, that our minds need to be renewed. Your mind has been:
When you are tempted to fear, depend on Gods Word to deliver, rescue and protect you. Your mind and emotions can be protected from all the illogical, ridiculous and downright crazy thoughts that keep you in a state of fear.
Don’t allow fear to take hold in you your life, but rather allow the Word of God to work in your mind. Casting off fear as we are commanded in the Bible over 59 times to do. So that you too can say….
Fear is not a factor for you!Our hope at Irvington Bible Baptist Church is that this podcast provided some encouragement and hashelped you to develop a closer relationship with the LORD Jesus Christ.